The Heubach method is as a reproducible measuring technique for the standardized determination of dust generated by the handling of treated seeds, powders, tablets and granules.
- Treated seeds are mechanically stressed inside a rotating drum.
- A vacuum pump creates an air flow through the rotating drum, the connected glass cylinder and the attached filter unit.
- By the air flow, abraded dust particles are transported out of the rotating drum through the glass cylinder and subsequently through the filter unit.
- Coarse non-floating particles are separated and collected in the glass cylinder while floating dust particles are deposited onto a filter.
- The amount of floating dust collected on the filter is determined gravimetically.
- Assessment of free floating dust and abrasion particles of treated seeds as a parameter of the quality of treated seeds.
- Determination of Heubach dust value (g dust/100 kg seeds or g dust/100 000 kernels).